Should a Homeowner Try to Remove Mold on Their Own or Hire a Mold Removal Company in Merrimack?
Research-Based Detection of the Moisture Problem Fueling Fungal Growth and a Long Term Plan to Inhibit Microbial Rebound Are Reasons Why SERVPRO Stands Out Among Mold Removal Companies in Merrimack
Mold issues are common in residences in Merrimack, just like elsewhere in the Northeast. Understanding how a mold outbreak gets its start clarifies how vulnerable nearly every household is to fungal damage. Mold spores are tiny, invisible to the naked eye. They float on air currents and track into homes on footwear, pets, and clothing. As long as no consistent water source is available, the spores stay dry and simply coexist with the occupants of a home, inert, drifting in the breeze, or settling on surfaces and furnishings.
How Do Inconspicuous Mold Spores Become Troublesome Mold Colonies?
Spores are impossible to eradicate, but reputable mold removal companies in Merrimack do not attempt or promise to rid a home of the spores. Instead, appropriately trained and certified mold remediation technicians focus on breaking the cycle of active mold growth. Mold growth can occur rapidly, needing only 24 to 48 hours of exposure to a water source to start dividing and multiplying. It is critical for you not to ignore water incursions based on seemingly minor circumstances such as:
- Slow drips in plumbing under sinks and in walls
- Clogged air conditioning drains and seeping condensation coils
- Repeated spills near pet feeding areas
- Precipitation blowing in through open windows and doors
- Mudrooms where foot and outerwear do not dry out entirely because of inadequate ventilation
- Steamy kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry areas without exhaust fans or inconsistently used equipment
Removing rapidly multiplying colonies is one crucial step, but focusing only on removal is inadequate. Vigilance in managing moisture and using scientific principles to inhibit continuous reinfestation is why we follow the protocols of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) when taking on your mold concerns.
What Are the EPA’s Mold Remediation Directives?
We approach all water damage issues with transparency and integrity, which is why SERVPRO concentrates on proactive interventions designed to minimize the chances that mold growth in Merrimack takes hold. Our mission is not to return to your home repeatedly to manage mold but to give you the knowledge that empowers you to avoid most mold problems. Before we can start you off on a clean slate, we proceed per the EPA as follows:
We locate the mold -- often with your help as you point out the feathery or leathery growth or notice the unmistakable musty smell.
We contain the area:
Wrapping the affected space in 1.6 mil polyethylene, frequently supported by plastic conduit
Installing a negative pressure air scrubber to seal the perimeter of the containment chamber and to force airborne mold particles through HEPA filters before exhausting to the outdoors
We mechanically remove the mold organisms through:
- Controlled blasting with soda or other gentle abrasives that also incapacitate the continued growth of the mold’s invasive filaments or “hyphae”
- The contained space is cleaned of moldy debris, including any porous material too infiltrated to remediation. Wipe down and vacuum with HEPA-filtered equipment reduces the spore levels to the “normal” measurement of the average home.
- The debris is double-bagged and disposed of as hazardous waste following local rules and regulations.
- Topical EPA-registered antimicrobials treat the affected surfaces to kill residual spores and inhibit fast regrowth.
- We might recommend sealing surfaces with paint-like primers impregnated with EPA-registered antimicrobials for another “layer” of protection from mold rebound.
How Do Professionals Manage the Moisture?
A mold removal project is incomplete unless the water damage or lingering moisture issues that caused the mold damage are addressed. We are very experienced in discovering the cause of water loss and following the migration of fluids and absorbed moisture far from the original crisis site. To do this, we:
- Visually inspect, looking for staining, peeling paint, and bulging building materials
- Use moisture detection and metering devices to map out and evaluate the intensity of any remaining liquid or absorbed water
- Provide water removal or structural drying services
- Help you arrange for repair of leaks in roofs, plumbing, or appliances
- Help assess high humidity concerns that can lead to mold growth and recommending strategies such as:
- Installation of exhaust fans
- Adjustment of HVAC systems
- Improving ventilation
- Adding constant or periodic dehumidification to the affected areas
We do not consider remediation complete until we find and arrange for the elimination of the water damage behind mold growth, why SERVPRO of Merrimack delivers sustainable results. Call (603) 262-9293 for a consultation and learn what we can offer as a long-term solution for mold growth removal.